Thu, Jan 18|
Discovering Oil and Cold Wax | Julie Snidle
$600 | 6 of 10 Seats Left | A fantastic discovery of new tools and methods for creating rich and authentic small works on paper and Ampersand's Gessobord. More than $150 of supplies included with tuition This workshop is fun - a bit messy - and will change the way you think about oil painting...
Dates & Location
Jan 18, 2024, 9:00 AM – Jan 20, 2024, 5:00 PM
PaintSpace NOLA, 1202 Soniat St, New Orleans, LA 70115, USA
Instructor: Julie Snidle
Bio: Click Here
Registration Deadline: Dec 1, 2023
Class Size: 10
Portfolio Review Required: No
This workshop is for those who would like to learn a non-traditional approach to oil painting or explore oils for the first time. This workshop is fun, a bit messy, and will change the way you think about oil painting.
***R&F will donate Pigment Sticks, a value of over $150 per student to use during class and take home, and if that's not enough, Ampersand will donate a 9x12" Gessobord for each student!***
Cold wax medium is an additive that thickens oil paint, speeds up the drying time (a bit), and neutralizes the paint so there's no concern about 'fat over lean' rules.
We will be using R&F's Pigment Sticks (compressed oil paints) along with tube oils to create paintings without brushes or smelly solvents. You will discover new tools and methods for creating rich and authentic small works on paper and Ampersand's Gessobord. With Arches oil paper as our primary substrate, you'll have several paintings going at once and they can easily be transported back home.
Students Need to Bring:
- 1 pad (9” x 12”) Arches oil paper, twelve sheets OR watercolor paper
which have been gessoed and cut into 9” x 12” sheets.
- 16 oz. can Gamblin cold wax medium
- 8 oz. bottle of Gamsol (odorless mineral spirits) for clean-up
- 1 roll of painter’s tape, 1-inch width (I like Scotch brand for delicate
surfaces - it is lavender, not blue.)
- 1 tube of white oil paint, 150 ml.
- 2 or 3 favorite tube oil paint colors and/or R&F Pigment Sticks
- a palette knife or two, for mixing paint on the palette and for mark-
- 1 roll of freezer paper OR a pad of palette paper
- nitrile gloves to protect hands
- variety of mark making tools
- Speedball’s soft rubber roller/brayer, 2” or 4” wide or both
- a cheap foam paint roller (kid friendly)
- 1 roll of wax paper (to protect work for travel)
- apron or wear paint clothes
Optional Supplies to Bring:
- silicone spreaders & scrapers
- Stabillo Woodies
- Pan Pastels
- charcoal and graphite pieces
- Art Graf water-soluble tailor’s discs
- thin collage papers
- additional Ampersand Gessobords, if desired
- pizza box or similar to transport work home
+$15.00 service fee
Payment of tuition reserves your seat in this workshop.
+$15.00 service fee0