Thu, Sep 14|
"I'm So Gelli!" Take Collaging Further with the Gelli Plate | Nancy Hirsch Lassen and Vicki Lee
$340 | 1 of 14 Seats Left Two instructors, two different methods, infinite possibilities! Using the Gelli plate, rubber brayer, acrylic paint and various papers you will learn to create prints in two different styles that can be collaged together or used as materials in other paintings.
Dates & Location
Sep 14, 9:30 AM – Sep 15, 4:00 PM
PaintSpace NOLA, 1202 Soniat St, New Orleans, LA 70115, USA
Portfolio Review: None
Class Size: 14
Elevate and enhance your collage practice with the Gelli plate!
Join us for this two-day workshop as we learn to create monoprints using Gelli plates. Using the Gelli plate, rubber brayer, acrylic paint and various papers you will learn to create prints in two different styles that can be collaged together or used as materials in other paintings.
On the first day, you will create many prints using stamps, masks and stencils. On the second day, those prints will be used as materials in two collage projects.
The instructors, Nancy and Vicki, have very different styles, but use the same materials to create their work. You will learn both styles and complete one 12 x 12 collage on a cradled board and between 6 to 12 small 8 X 8 works on watercolor paper that will be frameable.
This will be a fun, faced-paced workshop where you will be mesmerized by the printing process and energized by the collage process! Some supplies such as specialty paints, medium, a rubber brayer, a 24” metal ruler, a 12 x 12 cradled board, watercolor paper for collage, fixative spray and copy paper for Gelli printing will be provided.
The basic supplies that you will need to bring include: an 8 x 10 Gelli printing plate, and Liquitex brand Basic Acrylic paints which include white, black, blue, red and yellow.* We will have other Liquitex colors available but would like workshop participants to have the basic colors.
Additional supplies to bring include a cutting mat, a craft knife, scissors, a color wheel, a palette for mixing colors, and stencils that you may already have. You will also need a small palette knife for mixing paint and several brushes of varying sizes. Stencils are a main feature in Gelli plate printing, and we will make our own as well as use stencils that you may already have. All acrylic paints work to some extent with this process, however we have tested Liquitex and are pleased with the results from this
You may however bring in others to try which include craft type acrylics, Posca brand paint pens, Golden fluid acrylics, and other brands of acrylic paint. Rubber stamps, color shapers, striping tools, and other painting tools you may have are fun to use as well. The class is from 9:30 until 4 each day.
*David Art Supply has agreed to match Blick pricing on all of the supplies needed for this class! Just mention PaintSpace NOLA and Nancy and Vicki’s class!
Gelli Print Workshop Supply List
The following supplies are needed for the Gelli Plate printing workshop and can be purchased locally at David Art Supply in Metairie.
1. “Gelli Arts” brand printing plate sized 8x10. You may bring a larger one, however the paper we will supply will work best on an 8x10 plate. Do not bring anything smaller than 8x10.
2. Liquitex Basics Acrylic paint in tubes, colors needed include white, black, red, blue and yellow. You are encouraged to bring as many colors of this style paint as possible. We will have available for your use specialty colors that cannot be easily mixed with the primary colors. You may also bring any craft like tubes of paint for experimentation. Liquitex Basics and Amsterdam acrylics are the brands that we will be teaching with. We will also be using Golden fluid acrylics and will have some available for your use. If you have your own Golden fluid colors, bring them to class as well.
3. Cutting mat sized at least 12x12.
4. Craft knife
6. Color Wheel
7. Stencils and rubber stamps that you may have.
8. Palette knife and several various sized brushes
9. Baby wipes, which are used to clean the plate.
+$8.50 service fee
Payment of tuition secures your seat in this workshop.
+$8.50 service fee0