Thu, Jan 25|
Mixed Media with Dyed Paper and Encaustic | Karen Meadows
$930 | 12 Seats Left Create works of art using our created dyed transparent papers and topped off with a layer of Encaustic Beeswax which we will carve into, adding another layer of beautiful translucency. Mistakes are valued, and experimentation encouraged. Includes $140 of supplies!
Dates & Location
Jan 25, 2024, 10:00 AM – Jan 28, 2024, 4:00 PM
PaintSpace NOLA, 1202 Soniat St, New Orleans, LA 70115, USA
Instructor: Karen Meadows (View Bio)
Registration Deadline: Dec 1, 2023
Class Size: 12
Portfolio Review Required: No
In this 4-day workshop, learn techniques to incorporate your own dyed papers of various transparencies with paint into your work, while accessing the creative state, where mistakes are valued, and experimentation encouraged.
Create 4- 20” x 20” works of art using our created papers, and topping off with a layer of Encaustic Beeswax, which we will carve into, adding another layer of beautiful translucency.
Finding composition on large paper, we will experiment, collage, make marks and crop to create bonus small works.
Tuition includes $140 of supplies including panels and beeswax!
- Loosen Up exercises: Blind contour, walk with a line, use of water-soluble graphite, getting it wet, value studies, how to make strong compositions
- Mixing color demo and discussion
- Dying paper, solid colors and patterned demos
- Mark-making on various transparent papers
- Impromptu critiques as we go
- Layering papers, discovering color combinations
- Image Transfer demo
- What is Encaustic? Brief history and images to share
- Demo, Apply clear coat Encaustic Medium
- Demo, mark making on encaustic, using oil paint to enhance
- Painting finished panels with Encaustic, short critique,
- Materials list provided for work at home
“Karen’s workshops are instructive, inspiring, and generous. I have taken several and keep learning more. She gives personal feedback, creates an atmosphere of fun, open, experimental exercises to introduce many useful techniques to bring us to our own personal art making. I made artistic leaps I’m thrilled to continue.” ~Donna M
This workshop is designed for beginning as well as advanced artists, to find new ways of self-expression.
+$23.25 service fee
Payment of tuition secures your spot in this workshop.
+$23.25 service fee0